The windows haven’t been cleaned since being installed. It’s been bugging me for a good 6 months today I got a jump-start on an early spring cleaning.
Our apartment has two problems with keeping the windows clean; There are three heavy smokers in the house the windows get stained real fast. plus we’re on a main street, beside the building is a the town shop, so lots of diesel trucks passing but with the soot to match.
How Long Will This Take?
5 to 10 minutes per window. I did 11 full size windows and a door in 2 hours including a couple of smoke breaks.
What You Will Need:
- Windex – Cheap stuff from the dollar store works just as well.
- Bleach – This cuts the nicotine, grime, and soot.
- Spray Bottle - 50/50 bleach with warm water
- Rags – an old t-shirt works fine
- Paper Towels
5 Steps to Squeaky Clean Windows:
- Spray a good dousing of bleach water on the glass and frame. Avoid getting bleach on the frames if they’re wood!
- If possible pop the windows out so you can clean the outside. Spray the outside down with bleach too.
- Give it a few minutes to penetrate. With a rag wipe the bleach off on both sides. We’re not going for picture perfect in the step just get all the big stuff off.
- Take clean paper towel and wipe the remaining bleach off both sides.
- Spray a generous amount of Windex on both sides and wipe in a straight up and down or side to side. Paying attention to the edges.
That’s it! All my windows came pretty much picture perfect using the method above. Should I start a cleaning service now?